Study Outlines Methods to Eliminate Data Center Hot Spots
Posted by submit42u on August 24 2008 23:47:45
In data centers across the country, consistent and reliable data center operations is continually being compromised by data center hot spots. As manufacturers continue to introduce high-heat density equipment and computer room capacity requirements grow, data center hot spots will get worse.
This white paper, written by the Uptime Institute, is based on years of conducting computer room monitoring, testing, surveys, and case study research, which was gathered to pinpoint the causes behind data center cooling and data center management issues.
The findings are counter to original beliefs that insufficient computer room air conditioning units or high heat densities were the underlying cause of computer room cooling issues. After collecting more than 15,000 individual measurements in 19 computer rooms ranging in size and capacity, the culprit was actually an issue called “bypass airflow.”
This White Paper Presents:
- What’s Happening in the Computer Room – how uncontrolled cooling causes excessive data center heat loads and how previous tactics, such as increasing computer room air conditioning units, only made problems worse
- Why and How Issues Arise – case studies show how bypass airflow occurs
- Testing and What to Avoid – the best ways to conduct remediation testing and baseline case studies
- Problem Solving – recovering wasted bypass airflow
- Getting Results – statistic based improvements, which reduced bypass airflow and computer room temperatures
- Addition Benefits – eliminating hot spots increased the performance of data center operations while saving energy, reducing operating expenses and capital investments related to computer room air conditioning units
To download the complete white paper, go to: http://www.42u.com/data-center-hot-spots-download.htm.
42U’s team of technology specialists provide unbiased, independent expertise and solutions for Data Center infrastructure. They provide best practices and products for Data Center builds, expansions, and consolidations. For thirteen years, the majority of Fortune 500 companies have engaged the 42U team to resolve their data center management challenges. 42U (http://www.42u.com) and its sister companies, are value-added resellers that provide expert independence advice and solutions around enterprise kvm switches, remote power, computer room power and cooling , server racks and green data center solutions.